Monday, November 14, 2011

My favorite things part 2

I'm the type of person that could never buy great finds simply to re-sell them (although I wish I could).  Everything I find I keep which is a HUGE problem because I have filled a 4 bedroom home wall to wall in a little more then 2 years.  We moved from a small one story 3 bedroom home into our two story 4 bedroom home a couple of years ago and I told everyone that I loved the look of the plain white bare walls and the simplicity they spoke.  WHAT A LIAR I AM!  I cannot help myself, every wall is filled and I wish I had more space to keep adding.  Because of  my lack of space, I often pass up good buys :( and hate myself for it for days.  Truth be told, I do love the look of simplicity in a home but its just not in me.  My home is filled with inherited antiques and my own pieces that I hope that someday will be inherited pieces.  With that said here are a couple of things that I would like to share:




I bought this table at a yard sale for $50 about 8 years ago!  Nothing needed to be done to it, it was perfect as it was!  I love the detail, the chippy paint and the fact that it is "not perfect".


My  plates hang above my headboard in my bedroom.  This wall is and has been a work in process for about 10 years now.  As I find a perfect plate for my wall, I buy it and beg my husband to hang it up.


Finally...My new love for burlap.  I covered an ugly lamp shade with burlap ruffles for my nightstand.  Here is how I did it:


I purchased a burlap roll from Michaels craft store for about $4.


Then I cut strips or "workable pieces" about 1 foot long.  Next, I chose a burlap thread in the center of one end and pulled it gently.


Once the burlap started to ruffle I stopped it half way and pulled the middle thread on the other end.


Pulling the threads on either side gave me a ruffle.  Starting from the top of the lamp shade I used hot glue to attach the ruffles.


I glued and wrapped about 4 rows and then cut off any excess threads hanging.


Until the whole shade was covered.

Thanks for stopping by
Josie

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Cute shade, and love a house with a soul...all that history and love all around!

    Blessings,
    Deb @ Garden Party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything! I would have bought that table in an instant. Great idea with the lampshade. I'm loving burlap these days too.

    ReplyDelete